Interpreter Specialists (SPANISH)
- Spartanburg, SC
- Spartanburg Medical Center
- MGC-Center for Ob/Gyn
- Full-Time - Days - 8:30am-5pm
- Job Grade 014
- Req #: 33613
Spanish Medical Interpreter Needed!
The Interpreter Specialist provides medical and general interpreting services for Limited English proficient patients/guests and/or deaf patients/guests. Viable candidates may be requested to successfully complete a medical interpretation competency assessment.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent.
Preferred: Associate or Bachelor's degree.
Experience: A minimum of 1-year experience interpreting in a healthcare environment is required.
Successful completion of medical terminology and medical interpretation training.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Must be bilingual in English and a target language such as Spanish with strong verbal and written skills in this language.
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks, assignments, and deadlines.
- Collaborates with Dispatcher to ensure that medical interpreter requests are met on a timely basis.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and be able to exercise good judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
- Must be available to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays, on an as needed basis.
- Ensures that medical interpreter Code of Ethics is followed during encounters with staff and patients/guests.
- Assists English speaking employees to communicate with Limited English Proficient patients/guests in culturally and linguistically appropriate styles and behaviors.
- Records & documents medical interpretation activities according to departmental guidelines, noting staff or patient’s concerns & issues related to risk management directives or violations of hospital policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to withstand the stress and demands of an active position.
- Manual dexterity, good eye/hand coordination and acceptable vision needed in daily work.
- Must have strong knowledge of organizational dynamics and have excellent communication/coaching skills.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, the public, and other agencies.
- Must be able to respond calmly and efficiently in crisis situations.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills based on the command of the English language.
- Must be able to perform the following functions: standing for long hours, walking, stooping, bending, sitting, pushing, pulling, and squatting.
- Must be able to lift 30+ lbs in order to lift/move patients, equipment, and/or supplies utilized in the work place.
Additional InformationMedical Group of the Carolinas features 235 physicians in 20 specialty areas, and is structured to provide both patients and caregivers the ability to form strong relationships and create medical homes. Medical Group of the Carolinas includes a large number of conveniently-located primary care physician offices, 18 of which have been recognized as Physician Practice Connections-Patient Centered Medical Homes. It also offers five OB/GYN practices at six locations for women's health, two pediatric practices, as well as experienced specialty providers.