Patient Care Associate - Rehab - PRN
- Spartanburg, SC
- Spartanburg Medical Center
- Per Diem - Days (weekends as needed) - 7:00AM-7:00PM as assigned
- Nursing Support
- Job Grade 008
- Req #: 38359
The Patient Care Associate (PCA) is responsible for patient related clerical activities, unit clerical duties, computerized order entry procedures, and other unit activities, as applicable. The PCA must be able to provide and understand the specific communication needs of patients, families, and visitors. Under the direction of a Registered Nurse, the PCA provides focused non-licensed clinical care for patients throughout the age continuum including phlebotomy, basic nursing skills, etc., and environmental assistance to facilitate quality service and improve patient outcomes. The PCA will document and communicate with team members in a timely manner regarding the patient’s progress, needs and problems. Collaborates with Leadership in developing and implementing the Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System, Mission, and Goals.
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- Graduate Nurse OR Certificate from an approved multi-skill technician program or deemed competent by the nursing education department OR completion of 1st semester of Nursing Clinicals
- Hospital experience
- Phlebotomy Certificate
Core Job Responsibilities
- Basic Computer Skills
- Assists patients with activities of daily living in a safe, timely and courteous manner.
- Performs personal hygiene care with respect to privacy, dignity and needs of the patient
- Offers back rubs, prepares for mealtimes and sleep hours
- Delivers meals/snacks and water in a timely manner
- Performs vital signs, weights/heights, intake, and outputs, and bedside fingerstick blood glucose with accuracy and within established time frame and/or as requested.
- Communicates in a timely and effective manner through the use of verbal and written communication.
- Provides patient care relative to the age-specific and population needs by demonstrating knowledge of the principles of growth and development and population served.
- Knowledgeable in use of and response to Facility Alerts/Medical Alerts/Medical Emergency Systems
- Identifies areas for improvement and seeks ways to improve self-defined weaknesses
- Remains committed to unit and division goals
- Attends continuing education classes offered at Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System.
- Recognizes and reports changes in patient clinical condition, e.g. change in color, shortness of breath, changes in vital signs, changes in skin integrity, etc.… to appropriate nursing staff.
- Performs proper hand hygiene and PPE donning/doffing.
- Reports risk management concerns to appropriate person
- Performs age-based CPR.
- Follows Infection Control Procedures
- Adheres to proper chain of command.
- Performs, at a minimum, Hourly Rounds and documents in EMR.
- Bedside Shift Report
Additional InformationSpartanburg Regional is an integrated healthcare system that provides care from birth to hospice. As a a partner with the community for 90 years, we have earned a reputation for technological excellence. With more than 5,600 employees, Spartanburg Regional prides itself in being one of the most recognized healthcare facilities in Upstate South Carolina. A long list of accolades and accomplishments keep our employees proud. We believe the pride and quality in our organization is the result of a focused effort of our staff and resources.